Thursday, October 29, 2009

Who is God?

So as I was preparing for my Bible study the other night, which was on the subject of humility, I came across the quote "Humility in every area of life, in every relationship with other people, begins with a right concept of God as the One who is infinite and eternal in His majesty and holiness. We are to humble ourselves under God's mighty hand, approaching every relationship and every circumstance in reference to Him." (The Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges) As I looked at that quote again and again, it seemed as though Jerry Bridges was saying that they steps to humility are: 1. having the right concept of God 2. realize who we are 3. humble ourselves in reference to Him

So I soon found myself asking one big question... Who is God? I mean, I know who God is according to Sunday school and church and the Bible and the world of 'Christians' but who is He truly?? I don't think that this is something that I focus on enough. I find myself trying to figure out how to become a better follower of Him and glorify Him more, but how can I truly do this if I don't know who "Him" is? A few of the passages that I looked at were:
-Psalm 46
-Psalm 54
-Psalm 93
-Psalm 95
-Song of Solomon (yes, even the 'forbidden and forgotten' book) :)
-Romans 3:10-11
-Romans 5:1-11
-Philippians 2:1-11
-Hebrews 13:8
-Hebrews 10:5-7

Then came the question... Who are we? (that is before Christ)
-James 1:14-15
-1 Peter 1:24-25
-Romans 13:1-2

Who are we once we become a true, heart follower of God?
-Colossians 3:1-4
-Philippians 1:21
-Philippians 3:8-11
-Ephesians 2:4-10
-Romans 12:3

I definitly know that this is an on-going process but it was just a great thing to do and my mindset of life was changed so dramatically. I would encourage each of you to do this yourself and to really dig deep into the Word of God and find out who God is because He is the Lover of life, Creator of relationships, Master of nature, and so much more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Amy - you are so awesome. I love how you reflect on the huge questions in life. I admire that about you. AS you said, it is a quesstion we go on asking forever and the answers are always so beautiful! Love you, Yvonne

Anonymous said...

God is so good! He is definately teaching you sooooo much! I LOVE this and am thrilled that you love Jesus as much as you do and that you respond to His leading like you do. You are one cool lady! And...I love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

Your incredible! I am encouraged by you. :)