Monday, October 24, 2011

Blessed.

We are blessed.

Over the past month I have been bombarded with stories about people who have a much harder life than I have. Here are a few examples:

-Watched "Hotel Rwanda" and saw all the lives of those people being torn apart.
-21 year old boy: mother and brother were shot in his presence when he was 5.
-21 year old girl: had a gun stuck in her mouth at the age of 4 and threatened to be shot.
-21 year old girl: husband of 1 year is filing for separation and kicking her out.
-Started reading Kate's Kisses which explains the lives of children in Uganda and the trials of living there.
-Read my cousin's blog about living in Africa and the daily struggles that brings.

And those are just a few examples. Yet I continue to complain at times. God has blessed me in so many ways. I have never seen anyone be killed, I have never been abused, I have never been 'hungry', I have never had to worry about money or where I was going to sleep at night. I have a WONDERFUL life.

Yet... I am distracted in this world of "comfort" and "easy". In Kate's Kisses the author talks about how going through all the trials without any 'comforts' caused her to fall on her knees before the Lord. It MADE her depend on Him. In this world where I have a 'wonderful' life I am never MADE to fall down. I am never without help from a worldly thing.

So yes I am blessed, yet at times I see those 6 year old children in Uganda as more blessed than me. They understand what it means to fully drop before the Lord and praise Him for ALL that He is since they have nothing else in their lives.

No comments: